Friday, July 8, 2016

Videos and QR codes in the library


Youtube

Youtube is a website in which people can share or view videos. Many famous singers owe their success to Youtube. Did you know Katy Perry, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, Gotye, Psy, among others were discovered after posting videos on Youtube? These videos are accessed by millions and millions of people worldwide. You can bet our students are watching Youtube videos. So why not jump on that bandwagon?

The following schools are using videos to promote their library program or provide how-to tutorials for students. Let's view some samples from their Youtube channel.

The NHS Library

In this tutorial video, the students are walked through steps on accessing their library. This video is extremely helpful to any student, especially new students who are not familiar with the library.



In this video, the library is promoting an event. I enjoyed seeing all the staff read a section of a challenged book.


The Unquiet Library

This school had many videos on their channel. Many are tutorial videos as well as students' projects. Here's a video that was created to promote the new book arrivals.



Here's an example of a tutorial video students may use. In this video, students are walked through the steps in citing an image on EasyBib.


Pikesville HS Library

I think students really enjoyed this Hip Hop lesson. The students experienced a Hip Hop Day in the library. They were able to dress up and even skyped with a Hip Hop artist.



This is one of several informative video produced. The instructors are introducing the course and classroom/lesson expectation. In this video, students give testimony to classroom expectations.


BB Middle School Library 

This is my favorite channel! Here students can access many tutorial videos. The best part is many student helped produced overdue book parodies to popular songs. The above video is an example of one parody using Flo RiDa's song.



This library offers many tutorial videos using Noodle Tools. Here's an example of a tutorial video on printing or exporting a work cited page.


The videos are just an example of what school can produce and students can create. Youtube is a tool, us educators need to utilize to be effective teachers. I can create a Youtube playlist students can access for additional resources or supplement lessons. During lessons, showing a Youtube video makes it more engaging and fun for students. Also, creating tutorial videos for students and parents to help with assignments/homework. The best part is Youtube has a privacy option in which you, the user, can select who can view the videos.

Animoto
Animoto is a video making software available on the Internet. It allows users to create professional looking videos using photos and video clips. The software is easy to use. First, create an account. Second, choose a template. Then add photos or video clips. Viola, you're done!

I used Animoto to create a book trailer for Martina the beautiful cockroach, a Cuban folktale. 




Martina is a young cockroach who doesnt know coffee beans about love and marriage. Thats where her Cuban family comes in. While some of the Cucarachas offer her gifts to make her more attractive, only her grandmother gives her something really useful: some shocking advice.

To view my book trailer, scan the QR code below. 

QR codes
A QR (quick response) code is simply a hyperlink that can be accessed using a camera on a cell phone or any mobile device. There are many QR code generators. I used QR stuff to create my code. Tip: search QR codes in classroom to find websites with ideas. One idea I want to use is to add QR code on homework assignment. It will list additional resources if needed. Also, I plan on adding QR codes to my classroom library. I can link the author's webpage or list similar books. I plan on linking my school information to a QR code and adding to my parent letter. Search Internet for additional ideas.

Enjoy! 

4 comments:

  1. You did a great job on your book trailer. As a teacher, I use several Youtube videos as an engagement piece before teaching a lesson. I think the Youtube channel will be very beneficial to me as a librarian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cynthia,
    I love your idea of using YouTube videos to supplement lessons and yes if we use them we will make learning more fun and engaging. for students. Using QR codes to list similar books is also a great idea. Great post!
    Buffie Smith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cynthia,

    Yours are great ideas about using Youtube to generate interest and enhance lesson presentations. Martina is one of my FAVORITE picturebook characters! Who knew something as detestable as a cockroach could win over the hearts of so many?! I was both excited and inspired by your book trailer. Very nice work!

    - Johtell

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have listed lots of great ways to use QR codes, and the choice of videos here are great! Your animoto was good, too.

    ReplyDelete