As I read, several articles written by Mr. Clark. He keeps repeating "media are mere vehicles." I don't agree with the word mere, but I do agree with media being a form of delivering instruction.
Many districts, including mine, are transforming the classroom from the traditional to digital learning environments. Our role as teachers is also changing. "Learning with media is a complementary process within which a learner and a medium interact to expand or refine the learner's mental model..." wrote Mr. Kozma. In his article, Mr. Kozma uses four medium examples: learning with books, television, computer, and multimedia. In each, the learner interacts with the medium thereby retaining information. The learner is not just sitting down and taking notes, but is interacting with it. Mr. Kozma further stated, "We must design our instruction in ways that embed the use of media..." Keep in mind, when this debate began, there was only a fraction of the many technology devices used today.
I agree with Mr. Kozma' viewpoint. In order to become an effective teacher, one must use media technology to reach all students. Studies show that the current generation of students utilize digital technology more often in the their daily lives than before. With this thought in mind, we (teachers) need to effectively use technology in our lesson planning, implementation, and delivery. Its not enough to just show a video, but students need to interact with it (ex. maybe create their own video).
References:
The media debate.
(n.d.). Retrieved July 17, 2016, from http://edutechwiki.unige.ch/en/The_media_debate
Kozma, R. B. (1994, Summer). The
influence of media on learning: The debate continues. School Library Media
Research, 22(4). Retrieved July 18, 2016, from http://www.ala.org/aasl/sites/ala.org.aasl/files/content/aaslpubsandjournals/slr/edchoice/SLMQ_InfluenceofMediaonLearning_InfoPower.pdf
I agree with you. "Showing" media is not going to cut it. It is the interaction that makes a difference.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Kozma also and I love your point that the most important aspect of incorporating technology into learning is making sure it is effective to all learners.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great response! I agree that students should be able to create their own in order for them to interact with technology and not just show it to them. We have a film club at our school and are constantly using the IPADS and the kids love it! Technology is for everyone.
ReplyDelete"Sage on the stage, or guide on the side?" It really seems that we are becoming teachers in the true sense that we are allowing students to discover for themselves and to make meaning of what they find. We can guide them to understanding, but ultimately they are the ones who carry knowledge and application forward.
ReplyDelete