Saturday, July 16, 2016

Podcast in the classroom


Podcast is an online recording that users can download on portable devices. I don't have much experience with podcasts (having only created one in the past). With that thought in mind, I will be using and reviewing 3 websites/apps today: Cloud Recorder, audioBoom, and SoundCloud.


Cloud Recorder
This website is extremely easy to use, but I encountered a few glitches. There's no need to create an account. Click on start and begin recording (limit is 7 minutes). You're able to download to computer or as a wave (limit 50s). Here's where the trouble began. You can save to Google Drive or computer. I tried multiple times trying to save to my computer, but each time it would open a different window and play the recording. I also tried saving the URL, but it wouldn't open. 


audioBoom
Wow!! I created and published this podcast in less than 5 minutes. Keep in mind, you do need to create an account. When you log in, there you will see many podcasts. You might want to listen to a few to get familiarized with podcasts. If you're ready to record, click on the red record button on the right side of the screen. You can record up to 10 minutes. Once you're done recording, click the save. Remember to add a title, then click publish. Congratulations, you've created your first podcast. I forgot to mention, this website will create a QR code for each podcast. 

Below you can listen to my podcast I created. 


SoundCloud
First, create an account. On the free account, you can record up to 180 minutes.  You're able to upgrade for additional minutes and services at Pro $7 or Pro Unlimited $15 per month. To record, you have to click on upload and then click on start new recording. This will open a new tab or window. Again, click on red record button.You have to click several times, before you can actually record. Once you're done, click on the upload button. You can choose how to publish (public or private), add title and image, and description. Then you save. I wasn't too impressed with this website. 

Using podcasts in classroom
I found some fantastic ideas to integrate podcasts in the classroom. My favorite idea is recording a podcasts for absent students. This can be done by you or a student explaining what was missed that day(s). Other ideas include:

  • summarize a book, activity, discussion, or lesson
  • record interviews and share with class
  • share currents events (newscast)
  • share book reviews or trailers
  • read excerpt from book to promote reading


Final thought: I liked the simplicity of Cloud Recorder; however, I had trouble with uploading the recording. I didn't really like Soundcloud. If I didn't have to click several times to begin a recording, then maybe. I think my students will get distracted and lost trying to record. As for my recommendation, my choice is audioBoom. It was easy and very few clicks to record and publish! I would definitely use with my students. As a teacher, I loved the thought of adding a QR code for my students. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Cynthia,

    You are the first of our classmates that I've read who didn't like the Sound Cloud podcast feature. I didn't review the audioBoom site, but based upon your positive endorsement, I believe that it is one that warrants investigation.

    You've composed a great list of usages for this tool in an educational setting. I will be adding a number of these to my running list of usages for podcasts.

    Great post!
    -Johtell

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had quite a few good ideas! And your podcast was interesting, too.

    ReplyDelete