Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Cartoons and Comics

Do you remember waking up early on Saturday morning to watch Justice League or Tom & Jerry? What about The Thundercats or Superman? My siblings and I did! We would wake each other up to watch them. 

What about comics? I preferred watching cartoons, but my husband is a huge comic collector. He wouldn't use his lunch money and saved it...to buy the latest Marvel or DC comic.

Can you guess what I'll be discussing today?! If you guessed the double C's, then your right. Let's get started. I will discuss my experience with using the following websites: ToonDoo, Pixton, and MakeBeliefsComix.

ToonDoo

Sammy

First, you must create a Free account. Then log in and begin creating your first comic. The cartoon was easy to complete! (The hard part was deciding what I wanted to create.) This website gives you many options beginning with the layout to publishing the cartoon. The eight tabs help guide you as your working. In each tab, there are more designs to choose from. I really liked the paintbrush option! After I completed my cartoon, I saved it. Again, easy. Click on the ToonDoo start here icon and you choose how to save. I had some trouble embedding until I realized my mistake. I clicked on embed and it said, copied. I asked myself, "Copy where?" Finally the light bulb went off, just paste. The simplicity and ease of this website will be a favorite among my students.

Pixton

To create your account, there are three choices: fun, school, or business. Beware: If you create account for teacher, this only gives you 30 days trial. Once you log in, its time to create! Click on main menu, and click on comics. From there, you have several options to choose from (layout). The process was easy! You can create using a basic or a more advanced template. In the basic, the website gives you options to choose. You only add the characters and text in the panels. In the advance, you create each panel. I actually created 2 comics. My first comic, I had trouble with getting my character to place his head down. The second time, it was much easier to create my comic. Once your comic is done, you can choose to save (for later) or save then publish (to twitter, print, or email). Students will find Pixton is easier to create comic with their many template options.

MakeBeliefsComix






You do not have to create an account on this website. The cartoon was easy to create, only 3 steps. However, I didn't like this website very much. Why? First, there's not variety to choose from. Second, cartoons can not be saved. Out of the three, this is by far the easiest. This website does have its merits like being able to create a short summary or an inference cartoon. 


As August approaches, I'm thinking of ideas on how to integrate into my classroom. I would definitely use all three! I like MakeBeliefsComix for its 3 step process. Its quick and easy to use. I would have my students print their project since it can't be saved. I would encourage my students to use ToonDoo before trying Pixton. Here's some great idea I found:

  • create an autobiography for the first day/week of school
  • practice new vocabulary words
  • practice creative writing 
  • enrichment for Reading lessons
  • use to illustrate writing prompts
  • practice language skills for ELL/ESL students
The list is endless...I can't wait to show my students this fall!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Cynthia,
    Your comic strips are very creative! These are a great way to engage students and to have them share their learning. I agree that Makebeliefscomix wasn't as intuitive as the other two sites. I used the Snipit tool to make a PNG file and then embedded it that way (if you're using a PC, its under Accessories). I agree it would be better to start with ToonDoo before teaching students about Pixton. Thank you for sharing your teaching ideas. ;0) Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very creative comics, nice job! I loved your suggestions for using comic and cartoon making sites in the classroom. Great way to increase student engagement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading your comics. You mentioned some great ideas on how to implement the use of comics and cartoons. I like that you mentioned using these with ELL students. This would definitely be a creative, fun way to help them practice language skills.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that using comics as a way of helping ELL students learn to use language would be fun and highly engaging for them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are lots of ways to use comics in the library, too! You could make one for overdue books, or let kids make them as book trailers, lots of different things! And you would get help, because I think students would love to do this.

    ReplyDelete