Saturday, June 25, 2016

Blogs and Blog reader

Blog and Blog reader
A blog consist of journal like entries written by individuals. You will find blogs written by teachers, parents, experts, etc. With so many blogs to follow and read, an individual may need the help of a blog reader. 

What is a blog reader? 
A blog reader or RSS service collects all your favorite blogs, videos, news, and more in a central location. Instead of clicking on each individual blogs several times during the day, you can just click once. When you click on your blog reader, any unread blog posts will be shown. 

After reading about blog readers, I chose to use Feedly. First of all, its free!! There is a fee for additional services. Feedly has a simple layout. (If you're familiar with Edmodo or Pinterest, then Feedly is the one for you.) Its simplicity makes it easy to use and follow. The menu on the left is divided into categories. (Again like Edmodo/Pinterest) As you search for articles, there are additional links to follow at the bottom. Also, there are additional blogs recommended for you. I really loved, that I can create "collections" or group my blogs together! There's a search option to seek for additional or related blogs. In addition, using Feedly to share on social media is possible.

Blogs to follow
Here are some blogs, you may wish to follow. 

1. School Library Journal 
This blog has many features. For an aspiring librarian (like me), this is the blog to follow. I found articles pertaining to book reviews, school library, and technology. This blog will help me stay informed on the current trends for children and teens. 

2. Library displays
I found this blog and loved it! She has great ideas for creating book displays. I can incorporate some of these ideas into my classroom. Also, there are additional website for book displays to search through. Ms. Pearson added book links to books about displays or promoting reading.

3. Mighty little Librarian
As I future librarian, I want to read about other's experiences in the library. In this blog, Ms. Whitehead writes about her every day experiences. creates a recommended book list for her students that she shares. In addition, she shares pictures of her book displays and library decorations. 

4. Wild about fifth
I teach fifth grade and I'm always looking for creative ideas on classroom displays and technology. The first item is a middle school summer list for students to read. Looove it!! There's a freebie tab with links to download or print additional resources. I will begin the school year with iPads and this teacher incorporates a digital center into her lessons. I can't wait to integrate into my classroom!

5. Life in Fifth Grade
If your looking for awesome ideas for Reading activities, this is it!! Her classroom has a 1 to 1 ratio for Chromebooks and she has many websites that she uses in her classroom. One of her students'  favorite (as well as mine) is Go Noodle. Her students also use Animoto (my student did too!). 

6. Teaching Blog Addict
When I first searched for fifth grade blogs, I came across this blog. There are over one hundred links to additional blogs. The majority of the blogs are geared for fifth, but there's a few for fourth and sixth grade. I'm saving this blog just in case.


Tumblr
There are many reasons why a school would use Tumblr. Some used it to promote reading books, authors or book reviews. While others used it to display quotes, library related meme, or links to related blogs/organizations. 

Here's my Tumblr link. 

impossiblepaperdreamland.tumblr.com





4 comments:

  1. Hi Cynthia!
    With this assignment, this is my first time hearing of blog readers. I had never heard of the term and didn't know they existed until now. Thank you for sharing with readers what a blog reader is. That is truly helpful information to those who do not know.

    ~Valerie Daigre

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your explanation of Blog Readers is really nice. Consider sharing with colleagues!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will definitely be checking out the Wild About Fifth and Life in Fifth Grade and sharing it with my colleagues. I love that 1:1 concept. There's so much I do with that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cynthia,
    You organized your post very well, I liked the way that you have it laid out. I think that many of the blogs that you found will be very helpful for me, so I will definitely be following those soon. You did a great job of explaining blogs and blog readers, there are many people out there who still do not understand many of the different services available through technology, so having great descriptions like this one will be very helpful.
    Great post,
    Naomi Emory

    ReplyDelete